2007 saw us say “Good Bye” to our two dear old friends, Jenna & Sonny, early in the year. Even though it was imminent that they were not for this world much longer they still left any empty spot in our lives and our hearts and I have to admit, a thought doesn’t go by without the temptation of a tear now and then.
On a brighter side, life at Westurn has been increasingly busy, with the building of our new Kennels, Battersea Park Boarding Kennels, which were completed and also started operation later in the year.
Amongst all this, we still managed to continue to train, trial and exhibit, we worked hard, we struggled but didn't give up, and we were rewarded with our achievements.
Some highlights were …
- Battersea Park Boarding Kennels were finished and opened for our first customer in August.
- Comet, Fyaril Westn Star Gazer, our first Papillon in the show ring was awarded a Minor Puppy in Group and a Puppy in Group plus was also invited to the Puppy of the Year Competition 2007.
- Chilli, Ch Vanrusselhof On Fire, completed her show Champion Title, collecting a number of Minor Puppy in Group awards and invitations to the Puppy of the Year Competition 2007 along the way. We also saw the Malinois population grow in the show ring early in the year, giving us some nice competition.
- Kota, Westurn Dakota Kid, picked up an Intermediate in Group Award, still trying to break the ice, he collected Reserve Challenges behind his dad, Denver (Au Grand/Multi Ch Borderfame Heart N Soul)
- Hunter, Westurn Sun Hunter, started his show career, turning some heads and although sparingly shown here in WA he was awarded Baby Puppy in Group and also invited to the Puppy of the Year 2007 Competition.
Satu, Fyaril Westn Fairytale, joined us, adding another Papillon to the Westurn family - thanks again to Fyaril Papillons.
- Rocket, Westn Rocket, still the only Papillon competing in agility in WA, gained his Novice Agility (AD) and Excellent Jumping (JDX) Titles, and also qualified for the State Agility Finals in Novice Agility and Excellent Jumping, placing 3rd in the Agility Final!
- Cash, Edenbrae Western Mustang, now 8 years young, finished his Open Jumping and Agility (JDO & ADO) Titles, along with his Strategic Pairs Excellent (SPDX) Title with partner Sonny (Brynbank Magic Sunday), taking numerous wins and places together. Cash also qualified for the State Masters Jumping Finals.
- Carrie, Mistydal My Western Girl, still the only Dalmatian in the agility ring in WA, finished her Snooker (SD), Gamblers (GD) and Strategic Pairs (SPDX) Titles – still teamed up with her reliable Strategic Pairs partner, Meg.
- Summer, Westurn Secret Summer, joined Helen’s training team and began her agility training … she can’t wait to get out there!
- Sketch, Westurn Solitary Man, although a late starter he gained his Jumping Dog (JD) title at the end of the year.
- Ticket worked hard on her agility and was rewarded with a number of wins in Excellent Jumping, still working on teaching Helen to move and think quicker!
- Cash, Carrie and Rocket featured in a local television advertisement.
- Westurn Performance Dogs Achievements reached a total of 41 Titles and 160 clear "Qualifying" rounds in Agility & Jumping! See our Achievements Page for full details.
Looking forward to 2008 ...
- Look out for Hunter in the Working Dog show ring as he grows up.
- Comet will continue strutting his stuff in the Toy Dog show ring and Satu will join him to start her show career early in the year.
- Chilli will start her agility career, and maybe try her paw at some obedience.
- Summer will bring a new generation of Westurn Border Collies to the agility world and enter the trial ring later in the year.
- Ticket may even head East to Melbourne for the Agility Nationals in August (we’ll see)
- Apart from being thoroughly spoilt at home, River & Delta will take in the odd show and Delta might look at planning her next litter.
- Kota will continue to chase a few more challenge points.
- Battersea Park Boarding Kennels will continue to grow and look forward to many more happy customers.
- Rocket will continue in his very important role as “PR Manager” for Westurn and Battersea Park, keeping everyone informed and assisting Mum with the daily reception and operational tasks.